Admission to the MSSI Program
The Information Security Institute in the Whiting School of Engineering of Johns Hopkins University offers a full-time Masters of Science in Security Informatics (MSSI) degree program at the Homewood Campus in North Baltimore. Although some graduate students may finish their degree part-time after completing a 1-year residency requirement, please see our Engineering for Professionals program page for information regarding the Whiting School of Engineering's part-time degree options.
This program is open to outstanding candidates who hold a Bachelors degree with sufficient technical exposure to information technology as preparation for the core technology courses. Those interested in applying to the MSSI Program is required to do so through our ON-LINE APPLICATION. Please be sure to select "Information Security Institute" as your choice in the drop down box for the Whiting School of Engineering.
The application requires the following:
- Letters of Recommendation (2) requested from recommenders online
- GRE, TOEFL or IELTS sent directly from the testing service. The institution code for both GRE and TOEFL is 5332. The department code is 0404 for GRE and 78 for TOEFL.
- Original Statement of Purpose written by the applicant
- Transcripts - unofficial ones uploaded, Official ones sent to
the following address:
Johns Hopkins University
The Graduate Admissions Office
Full time Graduate Studies in Arts and Sciences
28 Shriver Hall
3400 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21218
US Citizens and Permanent Residents:
- Fall Admission - March 1
- Spring Admission - November 15
- Fall Admission - March 1
- Spring Admission - September 15
We encourage all prospective students to apply as early as possible. To ensure full consideration including the merit-based Information Security Institute Fellowship (ISIF), your application has to be received by the above deadline. The review of applications received after the deadline will be on a space-available basis.
Only as general reference, the preferred scores are as follows:
- GRE General Test - Verbal: 153 (62%), Quantitative: 160 (84%), Analytical: 3.5.
- TOEFL Test: 79 or IELTS Test 7.0 (For International applicants only).
Questions regarding the admission can also be sent via email to: email@example.com
The Johns Hopkins University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, or veteran status in any student program or activity administered by the University or with regard to admission or employment. Questions regarding Title VI, Title IX and Section 504 should be referred to the Office of Institutional Equity, Garland Hall, 410-516-8075 or 410-516-6225 (TTY).